Monday, November 26, 2007

Bet You Didn't Know This!

My good buddy Ashley has an entertaining blog. She posted some of her family quirks (hilarious I must say) and recently shared six things about herself that most people probably didn't already know. (see blog entries 11.12.07 and 09.17.07) Well, well, well, Ashley. Since it's been several weeks since I was originally tagged it's high time I get this out in the open. Six things "I Bet You Didn't Know This About ME!"
  • Sorting Stuff: I can't stand to sort things multiple times, especially silverware and laundry. When I load the dishwasher I categorize things into each compartment. Forks with forks, spoons with spoons, kid stuff with kid stuff. The funny thing about this arrangement is that if Edwin happens to help with the dishes and turns on the dishwasher he unsorts all the dishes because he thinks they will be cleaner that way! Can I just say...ERRRRR! Laundry is another beast entirely. Since I've done my own laundry since I was 10 it was quite an adjustment for me to wash Edwin's dirty clothes with my own. I don't like to mix the children's clothes with the adults clothes. Whites have their own basket so I don't have to sort colors...if I had the space available I would have more than 3 dirty clothes baskets! Dirty rags I prefer to wash alone, but if I don't have enough to make a full load I will wash them with the jeans. I generally pre-treat things twice. Once on the way into the bucket and then again just before I throw them into the washing machine. I can't stand piles of folded laundry so I usually fold one category at a time so I can put it away...ie...I'll fold all my jeans and put them away before I fold Edwin's jeans. If I ever get to design my own laundry room I'm afraid it will be MASSIVE!!! Shelves, drawers, hampers, drying racks....plenty of space to fold and sort the things we dirty daily!
  • Notebook: I'm a notebook junkie. I recently collected all the notebooks in the house and consolidated all my thoughts into one location....I had so many spiral notebooks! Since I've had the notebook gathering I have cut back to :
  1. a journal,
  2. a scripture book
  3. a memorization booklet
  4. a notebook for my purse
  5. a personal study/essay notebook for things I read
  6. a notebook for Enrichment
  7. a notebook for Emergencies (ie...I can't find the notebook I need)
  8. notepad for shopping list
  9. notepad for family journal memories

Wow, I guess I am still a notebook junkie! Oh well, that is not as many as I used to have!!!

  • Regrets: After attending a group gathering out of the ordinary I generally regret two things I did during the event. It varies with every situation, but I have two common pitfalls. First, if I was caught off-guard by what someone else said or did I am usually left speechless. It is only after several hours mulling over the awkward moment that I think of something witty and clever to say. Ah, if I was just a bit quicker on my feet. My second regret comes from saying too much. I make assumptions about people that are 99% of the time WAY OFF BASE! So when I speak based on my initial impression of people I realize much later that I said something TOTALLY RIDICULOUS! Alas, this leads me to my next point
  • Social Skills: I'm generally SOCIALLY LACKING! I don't know what's "in" until it's so out of date that it's on the verge of being popular again! Name brands, professional sports, musicians, and movie stars are generally safe topics of conversations for most people, but talk to me about them and I'll give you a polite half smile and nod my head in agreement with whatever you say! Case in point....Edwin took me to see Mission Impossible (don't ask me which one because I don't know, but before I finish with this story I'll bet you know the answer to it!) before we were married. A guy was on the screen and I turned to Edwin and said "He has nice eyes." Edwin replied sarcastically, "That's Tom Cruise." Obviously I should have known that since he was the leading role and since he was my sister's movie star crush. Oops! Oh well, Edwin still married me and I still comment on Tom's eyes before I register that he's a Hollywood Hottie!
  • Photographs: I NEVER like pictures of myself when I first see them. It doesn't matter how much money I pay for a good picture I NEVER like my own portrait immediately. With that said, when I look back on pictures of myself after some time (at least 3 months) I generally think I looked fine. When I order pictures and especially when we are getting the family photo I have to wait several weeks after the picture was taken before I can safely place the order.
  • Memory Problems: I like to meet people wherever I go. Once we get past the initial introduction I can generally remember two or three things about any given person and their name! However, if I meet that person in another setting with a new set of clothes on I won't even recognize them! I can't remember people's faces! However, I can remember the color of your clothes, your life story, and your name if you just tell me where and when we met! For this reason alone I don't like 2 or 3 day conferences and events! Nothing like meeting the same 25 people three days in a row! Yikes!

Tag Jodie you're it!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Took you long enough! You are a hoot Jen!

Jodie Haney said...

You are not socially lacking! Crazy woman.

Anonymous said...

That was very entertaining! I liked it.