Saturday, February 16, 2008

More from the Island

I over heard Edwin comment that our time on the island is a bit busy. However, he thought that the girls and I were having a pretty good time. Well let me tell you....WE ARE HAVING A GREAT TIME!!!!

We are staying in a little furnished apartment we like to call "The Beach House." At first I was a little concerned about the size of the place, but once I realized that we were living with minimal junk there is plenty of room for everyone! Grace is particularly impressed with the 'water beach' furniture. Although I think the wicker furniture is pretty I've realized it's a dust collector that is impossible to clean and I don't like all the glass table tops with my little girls. Great for vacation, not for my every day life though.


I'm without a computer and only have my "pay as you go" cell phone plan, so I've gotten several other things done! I've been reading a few books, organizing my 'recipes to try file', and I've managed to complete two Family Home Evening lessons.

We like it when dad comes home early because there is no question about what to do. We get the fishing gear and head to the beach. The weather was a bit chilly this particular day, but that didn't stop Grace from getting wet and extending a kind invite for mom to get wet too. "Come on, mom, let's get wet?!?" Ah Grace, who can resist such a request?


So I thought our bedspread at "the Beach House" was quite cheerful. Grace and Anne enjoy the kingsize bed because there is plenty of room for everyone in the middle of the night! While we have been away Anne has started to crawl. Mostly a one-armed, one-leg belly crawl, but occassionally she's up on all fours. This is one of my favorite stages in baby development. I like that she's mobile enough to explore her surrounding, but isn't quite mobile enough to do much damage. She's cooing a lot and has begun to play games with us. Truly an enjoyable phase in life. This picture shows Grace's cute little backside that is now DIAPER FREE!!!
Yes, my little girl is potty trained! We've been a week without accident and we've had a few close calls. However, Grace doesn't like being messy and she knows that accidents means "yucky germs" on her legs. I think we may have been a little over enthusiastic about the whole potty training though...Grace cheered for me when I used a public restroom this week!
Valentine's Day!! Edwin and I keep things simple. However, I do like the excuse to devote an entire day to the kids and husband. In the morning we went the pier to watch the birds and boats. Then Grace and I made cards and placemats for everyone (thanks mom for the craft supplies). Each of the girls got a small book (something my mom did for us on Valentine's Day a few times when I was younger). Our "Family Togetherness" gift this year was a new mixing bowl for pancakes. I had to replace the one I melted (plastic kitchen items have a short shelf life with me...cutting boards, utinsles, bowls, tupperwares watch out!) Edwin makes pancakes for us regularly and we enjoy Saturday mornings together! We enjoyed lunch as a family (a nice addition to living on the island, dad is home every day for lunch). That afternoon we went to the beach and then to the "Purple slide" park. These are Grace's two favorite destinations and we did them both in the same afternoon. With all the playing we opted for frozen pizza for dinner and spent the evening hanging out. We love being a family!

7 comments:

Emma said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your time on the Island! Yay for potty training! what a fun Valentine's day.

Ashley said...

Wow! It sounds like you guys are having a great time! We sure miss you!

lyn said...

How nice for you guys....you may never have a time like this again! Enjoy it!

Jodie Haney said...

Good job on the potty, Mommy!!!
I am so glad you are enjoying yourself.

Melissa said...

Looks like you've been busy... but in a good way! Enjoy it while you can!

Jennifer said...

Where are you?? I think I'm a bit behind the times here! Yea for Grace and the potty. Can I schedule her to come give lessons to Linus? oxox

Brekke said...

Yeah, Jen! You used the potty!