Saturday, June 30, 2012

In memory of Grandma Butler

 I have a lot of different memories of Grandma Butler. Many of them are in her living room just sitting for a chat.
 We used to stop by to visit for an hour or so every Sunday after church. The grownups would sit around in the living room and talk while the kids would pile on the king bed in the back and watch TV or a movie.
 At Christmas or Thanksgiving we used to go to Grandma's and Grandpa's for a big feast. Some would sit around the kitchen table and others would use TV trays in the living room.
 Grandma often had a funny story or loved to hear other people's stories. Sometimes when Grandpa would say something she didn't approve of she would holler something at him in Finnish.
 When I was younger I used to think Grandma was grumpy all the time because of her usual facial expression. When I was a teenager I finally realized that she was one of the most loving, caring and friendly people I've ever known. All I had to do was go up and give her a big hug and a kiss.
 She would do all she could to help other people. She also loved flowers and animals. One summer I was working with Uncle Allan and he was raising some chicks. When we went away for the week Grandma would take them in her house to care for them. Uncle Allan told me that she has always been a big softie for cute little creatures.
 I love this picture of Grandma and Anne. Jen and I think Anne looks so much like Grandma with her blue eyes and light colored hair. They even have a similar expression on their faces. We will always think of you Grandma when we look at Anne.
Grandma, we love you and will miss you, but know you're in a better place.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for this Edwin. It's beautiful. Something else that I remember was that Grandma used to keep a bb gun by her back door to chase away unwanted animals. She would pump the gun just a little so that it would just give the animal a "good sting" she would say. She was a good shot.

Rachel said...

Thanks Edwin. LOVE IT!! You have some great pictures.