Friday, September 6, 2013

A Little Bit of Summer

Edwin's been missing the blog.  I've been missing a camera that isn't so quirky! 
Since the camera is holding power for more than a day lately, I've taken a few more pictures of this summer.  Sorry everything is piled into one post, but it's now or never!
 Enjoy the pictures.
 
In July we went to Idaho and enjoyed playing in the irrigation water at Grandma's house with all the cousins. There was also camping, kayaking, and fishing involved, but alas no photos from my camera.
 

James went fishing on the lake one weekend while family was in WY visiting us.
 

Grandpa Butler and Grandma Butler have been up twice to visit this summer.
We enjoy spending time with them, and Grandpa is on a mission to catch some fish.
At this rate he may need to visit every weekend, the fish don't seem to want to be caught by the Idaho boys.

With all the 95F weather we had I neglected to pack jackets for our trip up to the lake.  It was too cold to swim so we used the swim towels for shawls to keep warm.  Living in the mountains is taking a little getting used to again.  I've been in humid weather for too many years!

John likes being outside, but not as much as he likes driving the van.

The kids came chokecherry picking with us, can you tell?

There are play grounds all over in this little town.  It's great for the kids to get out of the house and run around a bit.

A local forest service man told us the chokecherries weren't quite ready for picking.  So we played instead.

This big stone bison is in Sinks Canyon. I love that John is waving to the kids up tall and showing them his belly...."Ha! Ha! You can't tickle me from up there!"

Everyone thinks John is so cute.  The kids take pictures of the poor guy whenever they can.  Occasionally James jumps in the photo too.

Edwin had his first day of work in August.  The kids decorated the house for him.  They were so excited for dad's new job.

John at City Park

Anne at City Park

Grace at city Park

Anne asked me to make her a jewel box quilt.  I got the pieces finished and I'm now putting together blocks.  However, Anne decided to make a bit of a change.

Using the same pieces I already made we arranged them a bit differently.  Anne decided Sunny Lanes was more her style so this will be her quilt when I get the pieces sewn together, I have no idea when I'll finish, but it will be lovely.

Edwin enjoys being home most of the time I think.  Some days are a bit overwhelming and I pat his back and say, "I understand."  He's adjusting to his time off and I think we are finding a good balance of free time and family time.

The library had a Lego Exhibition here in August.  James and I made this Diego Alien.  Lego club starts next week and I think James will enjoy meeting people and playing with Legos, Anne will join too.

Grace didn't know about Lego club, but she sure wanted to build an FBI station for the Exhibition.  Her photo made to local paper and she is proud of her creation.  We missed Lego Club this month for Grace, she's start in October.

This is John's favorite chair.  He reads here.  Sleeps here.  Eats here when mom's not looking.  Sometimes he even cooks here!  This summer whenever I was reading a book in this chair he would wander over to the book case and start throwing things on the floor.  I would scold him and then go pick up the books.  While I was busy cleaning up his mess, John would climb up in the chair with his favorite book and laugh and laugh and laugh.  It was quite charming. He knows how to get what he wants from time to time.

With no dishwasher and kids in home school they are learning the fine art of household chores.

I love this little vacuum.  It was a birthday present several years ago from the kids.  This is truly a gift that keeps on giving.  The kids can't quite sweep the floor, but they sure can vacuum!

John and Edwin sorted chokecherries late into the night while mom simmered and mashed them.
We have delicious syrup in the house and more chokecherries in the freezer if we need to make more syrup.
Ah, mountain deliciousness is here!

1 comment:

Susan said...

looks like you are up to lots of fun. I love all of the cute pics of the kids. I think that I need a few new ones to put on my digital frame in the kitchen. (hint, hint).