Friday, August 17, 2007

Sisters

Grace and Anne are 20 months apart. When discussing more children part of me totally freaked out at the thought of having two babies. I wasn't sure I wanted to mother two little children so close in age. However, I have always held close to me the hope that my two children would be good friends who needed each other. We didn't find out Anne's gender until delivery so throughout the pregnancy I hoped for a girl and rationalized that I would be happy either way. But I won't deny the fact that I envisioned sewing matching dresses and decorating the room with "girlie things". I wanted so much for Grace to have the kind of playmate my sister was for me while I was growing up. When Edwin and I talked of the future and the mischief our children would discover I would smile and say, "but they will look so cute with bows in their hair and mud up to their eyeballs."

These past two months have been delightful. Grace loves her baby sister. If Anne is on the floor Grace lies down next to her. Grace helps give Anne baths. Grace sings songs to Anne. (One day I overheard her singing 'Love Anne, Love Anne'.) Grace has shared her favorite toys, snacks, shoes, and mommy's lap. Yes, Grace loves Anne, but how does Anne feel about all this?


There have been numerous occassion when Anne has been upset and I have tried my best to calm her. Grace gets upset when Anne is flustered and often wants to hold or kiss Anne. In the attempt to temporarily pacify Grace by fulfilling her need to show affection to her baby sister I will place Anne within Grace's reach. A kiss from Grace, a sweet hug, or a tender pat on the tummy is often times all Anne needs to settle down. Anne knows her big sister Grace and accepts and needs Grace's love.


I am so glad I have my two babies and I'm thrilled that they have each other.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Jen,
I'm so glad that you feel such a tender love for your girls and appreciate how much their spirits know one another. I remember two little girls much the same way and now that they are older with families of their own, I admit, when I think of my girls it's them as babies and sisters and best playmates. Love Mom

Emma said...

that is so sweet. They have a connection already!

Melissa said...

This is such a sweet post... I can only hope that Hailey and her new brother will have as nice a relationship as Grace and Anne! There must be something about sisters... I didn't have one until I was 15, and as much as I love my brothers, I think I really missed out on that sisterly bond.

Jodie Haney said...

That is so sweet...you just about made me cry.
You are a good Mommy, and Grace is a wonderful Sister. Anne is very lucky.