
My sister, Karen, is an elementry teacher and suggested that I start using sight words to help Grace begin reading on her own. She told me to find the FRY lists or the Dolch lists. I found a few sights to get me started and we have created a reading wall in our home. I have a piece of plain newsprint taped on a wall in the living room. We have written the word "a" and I place picture flashcards next to "a" and Grace points at the words and says, "a swing, a boy, a dress, a cat." Next week I will write the word "the" on our list and then repeat the process. I have no idea what I'll do the following week, but it will come I'm sure!
For those who have young readers in your home you may be interested in these lists as well.
This sight groups 100 words at a time and also links sounds together (beginning sounds, vowels, ending sounds). It's pretty thorough and looks like it could be of use to any age reader.
This sight groups the words, phrases and flash cards through 3rd grade and also offers word searches for each reading level.
This sight groups the vocabulary list, phrases, and flash cards through 3rd grade.
Good luck Little Readers!!!
3 comments:
Thanks for posting these sites!
I took a "teach your kid to read" class and they suggested making puzzles out of words they alreay see all the time (ie. Cheerios) so that they can recognize the letters.
Obviously, we're still a little young for that, but it sounds like a great way to make learning fun.
I can't believe how big your little ones are looking and learning such big girl things.
Post a Comment