The girls and I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie series before nap time. Grace and Anne enjoy the stories and they are beginning to relate to the sisters, Mary and Laura.
Lately, we talk about how we are moving across the states and will have a new home like Mary and Laura. Grace is really sad that we won't be using horses to get to Iowa, but with only five days for moving between jobs we've opted to make it as simple and quick as possible.
A year ago when we moved from Texas to Idaho we packed up the Uhaul truck and moved everything with us. The girls and I flew and Edwin and his brother drove the truck. Once again our moving day is fast approaching but we've changed the plans this time. Since I will be 7 months pregnant and Edwin only has five days to move from Idaho to Iowa we decided to junk our stuff and start over in Iowa. If it doesn't fit in the car, the van, or Grandpa's truck it is staying behind. Essentially I have about 10 boxes I will be allowed to take with us.
I've been cleaning out closets and drawers and cupboards this week. And I'm realizing 10 boxes isn't very many. Every time I do some more downsizing I ask myself, "How important is this really?"
If you only had 10 boxes to move you and two girls across the country, what would you take?
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Like Laura and Mary
The girls and I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie series before nap time. Grace and Anne enjoy the stories and they are beginning to relate to the sisters, Mary and Laura.
Lately, we talk about how we are moving across the states and will have a new home like Mary and Laura. Grace is really sad that we won't be using horses to get to Iowa, but with only five days for moving between jobs we've opted to make it as simple and quick as possible.
A year ago when we moved from Texas to Idaho we packed up the Uhaul truck and moved everything with us. The girls and I flew and Edwin and his brother drove the truck. Once again our moving day is fast approaching but we've changed the plans this time. Since I will be 7 months pregnant and Edwin only has five days to move from Idaho to Iowa we decided to junk our stuff and start over in Iowa. If it doesn't fit in the car, the van, or Grandpa's truck it is staying behind. Essentially I have about 10 boxes I will be allowed to take with us.
I've been cleaning out closets and drawers and cupboards this week. And I'm realizing 10 boxes isn't very many. Every time I do some more downsizing I ask myself, "How important is this really?"
If you only had 10 boxes to move you and two girls across the country, what would you take?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm with Grace - take the horses! We are starting the same process - trying to get rid of all of our 'stuff'. Accumulation is so easy and happens so slowly and you don't notice. I started going through things and have been pawning them off like mad! Here's to us both downsizing and starting from basically scratch....we, however, will not be trashing our big tv!
only 10 boxes? that's not enough for clothes;)
I still can't believe that! Good luck figuring out what to take!
Baby Dolls, books and play doe~
Post a Comment