Saturday, September 12, 2009

Posting Projects

These are the aprons I designed and sewed for the girls the first week we arrived in Iowa. Grace asked me to add a ruffle to her apron because it wasn't "long enough." Both aprons are reversible and the girls enjoy wearing them. Aunt Susan is the queen of repurposing! So with a little inspiration from her and some great ideas from the library we came home and created some of our recycled art! We used cardboard from cereal boxes to cut the template we wanted to decorate. Using food coloring and Elmer's glue we painted aluminum foil, let it dry for a day or two (the more food coloring you use the more vibrant the color because the glue dries clear and the color is muted.) Then we cut the foil into squares and decorated the templates. Next step is to decorate them with ribbons, trim, and other random things we find....but all in good time. When we emptied the last cereal box, Grace looked at me and said, "I know, we can cut that into a cardboard dinosaur!" Dinosaurs, people, dogs, turtles, and spiders are on the list for recycled cardboard collages. We will be some crafty girls this winter...I'm super excited and can hardly wait to get started.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Those aprons are very cute!

Susan said...

I love their cute aprons! How fun!
We are going to try that tinfoil painting, that looks like so much fun. I love the whale and the houses. I can't wait to see more, in due time of course.