Oh, how I embrace and loath this ever increasing independance. Making cookies, not such a big deal. Things that do bother me include pouring the milk, dressing themselves when we are pressed for time, and the ever constant screaming, "NO MOM, I CAN DO IT!!!"
Even James is joining the crusades to do things by himself. Eating at the table, army crawling, and sitting up alone are just a few of his new tricks. I'm learning the ever important parental role to teach my children how do to it on their own, hope they succeed, reassure them that all is well when things go wrong, and help then clean up the mess when they fail to perform to their own expectations. There is also the learning to let go of my own expectations and be happy with their efforts.
Tonight for dinner the garlic toast had about 3 TBS of butter unevenly spread on every serving, the water was spilled, Grace dropped the noodles on the kitchen floor before putting them in the pot, (yes, I cooked them even though my floor is desprately in need of cleaning), and Grace dropped her entire plate on the floor while she was busy cutting her meat by herself. Dinner was a little sloppy, but we enjoyed being together and the food was delicious.
Life is messy so we learn how to clean it up as we go. However, I'm still learning that one too.
This is a great time in life and we are a happy family.
2 comments:
You are such a good mom! I don't have that much patience!
With this new baby here I am going to have to start letting the boys do more by themselves. Thanks for the great example. One thing that I did though, I started letting Anton make his bed by himself. It is the hardest thing not to make it again and fix all the wrinkles and lumps. I am SO particular about beds. It about kills me.
Post a Comment