Friday, October 29, 2010

Something Besides Laundry

We've been ill.  At 2 am while hugging the stainless steel bowl and crying for a drink of water Grace said, "I am not having fun."  Tears in my eyes and bowl in my own lap I replied, "I know sweetie.  No one is having fun."  Within four hours of the first tummy ache complaint, all five of us had the stomach bug.  That was 10 days ago.  We are still recovering. Ironically I am happy to report we have progressed to washing the bedding every couple of days instead of every couple of hours. Laundry is usually a job find enjoyable, but I have come to loathe it lately! 

In the midst of this icky mess, we have had many friends help in various ways.  Meals, groceries, child care, early morning phone calls for help, blessings or errands have all been received well.  We are surviving and I think we are ready to get busy with living life again.  Needless to say I haven't taken many pictures lately but I do have a few things we did prior to our stomach mishaps.

WE HAD VISITORS!!!

They arrived. They ate.  They pulled out the fishing gear!
James tested the poles to make sure they were in tip-top shape.

Edwin, Grandpa, and Richard wanted to go fishing.  They went to the fishing store TWICE before bedtime.  They were out the door first thing in the morning.  Although they planned to do the fishing, they didn't plan on swimming. However, when the canoe tipped the fisherman became the bait!

The girls and James met the boys for lunch.  Edwin successfully paddled us around the lake without tipping us over.

James stayed on the shore and ate the chips, sandwiches, dirt and rocks. He didn't like the canoe for very long.

The kids enjoyed a brief nap on the way home.  Anne is "keeping the sun out".

One day of fishing isn't enough for this grandpa.  Edwin and Grandpa went fishing the next day while Richard was scouting out the law school here.  They caught a few catfish and a white bass.  We all ate well that night, a little too well.

The next day we took another trip.
You can't come visit us without a drive to Nauvoo.  The kids and Grandma and I went to the Family Living Center to ride the sheep and bake bread while Edwin, Grandpa and Richard and Jess attended the temple.


We enjoyed a carriage ride in the countryside in the afternoon.

We also made it Carthage.

I love this shot of Grandpa.  He scouted a building project and couldn't  resist touching the lumber and reading the building specifications.  Here is a man who is passionate about his job.

Aunt Jessica
This is one of the women my daughters admire, and a woman I am happy to have as a role model for my girls.  We love you Jess!  Good luck with your new bundle!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

SSOOOOOOO sorry to hear you have all been sick. I hope you all recover completely SOON!

Love the pictures from your visitors. My favorite is the one with dad with the glasses halfway down his face. It is so Dad!