Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Insights on Service

"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom

The other day I was feeling a little confused when talking to a friend. She expressed how grateful she was to another person for helping her during a difficult time in her life. I was glad that she received some help because although I had offered my service numerous times she always told me she was "just fine." When all was over she was grateful to the individuals who had given their time and efforts to help her. I felt I had missed out on an opportunity to really be a friend to a woman I admired.

A few days later a friend of mine filled my freezer with precooked homemade dinners. Another friend called to bring me dinner, not because baby had arrived, but simply because she remembered how tired she was during the final weeks of her pregnancy. Someone else offered to watch Grace during my doctor visit. Each time a helping hand was extended my initial thought was to decline politely, "you really shouldn't have made me frozen dinners," "thanks for offering, but I'll be alright," or "that was very thoughtful, thanks for thinking of me, but we are fine, really." My words decline the invitation while my mind and heart are screaming "THANK YOU!!! HOW DID YOU KNOW I REALLY NEEDED A BREAK THIS WEEK?!?"

Why is it that I (like my friend) struggle to accept the help offered to me? Am I so proud that I can't admit I too have tough days and could use a little "pick me up"? Instead of turning my back to a generous friend, I find myself saying "thank you." Because in the end the real question should be.....
"WHO AM I TO DECLINE ANYONE THE OPPORTUNITY TO FULFILL THEIR HEART'S DESIRES BY SERVING SOMEONE TODAY?"



3 comments:

Jodie Haney said...

good lesson...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiring thoughts.

Mindy said...

We all need this lesson over and over and over....