Thursday, November 13, 2008

What I Would Say At Your Funeral

Why is it that we wait for funerals or big award ceremonies to give tribute to those we love? Well...I'm done waiting. So this might make you a bit uncomfortable momentarily, but this is how I feel about you and I just want you to know it.
This lovely family is still in Texas, but we think of them and pray for them often. Jaymie has always lent a listening ear and often confided in me her hopes, her fears, and her dreams. She claims to be reserved and quiet, but that’s only when children are absent from the scene. If there is a child in the room she opens up into song, dance, theatrical productions, and games. Camping with a group of friends was possible because Jaymie was there to walk the kids around discovering rocks, trees, and plants. She played her guitar for them and let them strum the strings. She always encouraged learning and exploring the world. She has a great head for knowledge. It is quite the trip to go to the museum with her because she can tell you things about the objects you are struggling to read the plaque and pronounce the name! Seriously, she is one smart cookie! Smart isn’t all that Jaymie has going for her. She is very kind and willing to give to anyone in need. The day I returned home from the hospital with Grace I was all alone. For the first time as a new mom I was alone and terribly overwhelmed. Jaymie called and asked if there was anything she could do to help. I cried and asked if she wouldn’t mind coming over to visit while Edwin was busy with school activities. Jaymie and Trent came over. Trent made dinner, washed and put away all the dishes, and cleaned the kitchen. He had me call his mom, the head nurse of the postpartum ward at another hospital, so I could ask her my questions and get some peace of mind. Jaymie held Grace and let me rest. We may have watched a movie or something, but I can’t remember. I was very grateful for a friend to get me through a difficult time. Trent and Jaymie were regular visitors at our house. Jaymie and I were often in the kitchen (unless it was time for ice cream and desserts then Trent and Edwin were often the ones dishing up the goods). Trent and Edwin talked medical school and boy stuff while Jaymie and I bonded with each other. There were countless nights we played games. Trent often tried to defeat us, but I wonder if he didn’t throw the games so we could win. Jaymie was the one who sat around and coached me or Edwin. She revealed Trent’s strategies time and time again. Trent will never win with that kind of teamwork!!! We enjoyed their company and their close proximity to our house. I still marvel that Jaymie can entertain children, play a game, disclose her enemies’ strategy, help someone else succeed, and still win a game! That’s some serious talent! We shared car rides, desserts, unannounced dinners, church callings, and new joys. We were their first guests in their brand new car!!! They let us watch Baby Dani when they went on their first date as new parents. Jaymie took a week off work so she could be available to watch Grace while I was trying to go into labor….it took the whole week before we had Anne, but I rested easy knowing someone was tending Grace with love. When Edwin is working all night at the hospital we pray that he will be well and that he will be a good doctor to his patients. Grace adds, “and Trent too, he’s an anesthesiologist doctor at the hospital.” So whether or not you are actually working is irrelevant, you are in our prayers. We love you and miss you. Enjoy this journey we call life by finding someone to serve!

4 comments:

Emma said...

We love Trent and Jaymie too. The boys loved it when they came over. We miss them. They are great friends.

Ashley said...

We miss you Trent and Jaymie! You guys are amazing!

Trent said...

Just for the record, I never just LET anyone win. But when it's 3 against one, it is much harder to win.

And everything you said about Jaymie is true, whether she'll admit it or not.

We miss you guys so much, and reminisce regularly about the real HP ward before they divided us all up.

Julianne said...

We think Trent and Jaymie ROCK and we're glad they're still here (we wish you were too!).