Warning: Lengthy post to follow. Trip of a life-time and I'm documenting it for my father and me.
James and I flew out to New Hampshire to visit my grandfather, Ray. He's had heart trouble for a long time and is living with cancer. Edwin encouraged me to visit before I missed my chance and regretted not going sooner. So James and I left Thursday morning and flew to Boston where I met my father.
Dave and James met for the first time at the Boston Airport.
My dad, Dave, flew out to New Hampshire from Idaho to spend some time with his father. He drove to Boston to pick up me and James. Dave was quite happy to see me and thrilled to see his newest grandson for the first time. We drove to New Hampshire that night and thankfully the trip was uneventful, except for running out of gas 15 minutes from our final destination! We were too busy chatting and enjoying the ride to notice the gas gauge, the lights, and the number of miles my father drove in two days.
My father, Dave, playing Cribbage with his father, Ray.
The majority of the time was spent with my grandpa. We played Cribbage. And I mean we played a whole lot of Cribbage. We played, two players, three players, four players and even six players. On Friday, that was all we did. Played Cribbage. Ate lunch. Played more Cribbage. Took a two hour nap. Met for dinner and then played Cribbage until bed time. Sounds boring for those who don't play, but for us it was a great time. My girls were sad they weren't able to come on the trip with me. But I assured them that I was going out to visit a bunch of old men and that it wouldn't be fun for two active little girls. So there you have it. We played cribbage and talked. Talked about the weather. Talked about the land. Talked about old times. Talked about medical problems and all the things that go wrong with aging bodies. Yep, it was old man times and James and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Grandma Evie learned how to use the digital camera to snap this picture.
Grandma Evie was there and spent all that time with us, but she doesn't play Cribbage. So I handed her the camera and she learned to take a few pictures. I love this one of me and Grandpa in her kitchen playing cards with my dad and my uncle Chris. Evie doesn't like to have her picture taken and Grandpa agreed that her beautiful face turns into something fierce on camera so I respected her wishes and didn't take any close ups of her. However, all her practice payed off when she successfully took the picture below of our four generations.
Four Generations. Ray, Dave, Jennifer and James
James helped Grandma Evie do the dishes.
Grandma is always moving. She waited tables for a long time and continued to serve and cater to everyone's needs. No one went without something to eat, drink, talk about or do. She loved James. Okay so grandmothers generally love babies, but I mean she really loved James. She loved to hold him, watch him move, play with him, feed him part of her dinner, and cuddle him. The whole time she was so glad to have a baby to play with. It has been a long time since she was able to love on a baby and she enjoyed every minute and didn't hesitate to tell me so. Once again confirming to me that babies are meant to be shared and enjoyed. They have so much to offer. And James was certainly thrilled with the adoring fan.
James and Grandpa Dave share a Frappe.
The highlight of the weekend was the family barbecue. My family history is a bit unique and now you will know why I claimed earlier that it was a "once in a life time event". My father, Dave was raised by his single mother, Cynthia. Cynthia and Ray divorced when my father was two years old and my grandmother burned everything but my grandfather's birth certificate. My dad never again saw his father. During the Christmas 1996 my dad called his father on the phone for the first time. My dad was 43 years old then. Since 1996 my father and Grandfather have visited each other several times and they maintain a good relationship via the phone and snail mail. Although this is a great feat and a wonderful relationship my father has since learned he has three half brothers. Since my father and I decided to visit Ray, my dad's brothers flew across the country to meet up for the week.
Chris, Brian, Dave, James
This picture was taken by the covered bridge near my Uncle Steve's house where the family gathering was to take place. Chris is a Buddist Monk living in San Fransico. Brian is on disablity and lives in Florida. My uncles were very glad to be able to meet my father and they were surprised to see how much my dad resembled their dad in mannerisms and physical characteristics.
My Grandfather turns 80 this week and he was so glad to see his four boys together at last. It was an emotional afternoon and we were glad to witness such a happy reunion. Although my Grandpa was prepared to have my dad, James, and me come for a visit no one mentioned that Chris and Brian were flying in to. The boys enjoyed a six day stay with their father and their mother, Jan. I was very sad to hear that when Grandpa married Jan she was prepared to be an instant mom. Grandpa was searching for his son, Dave, and never found him. I learned that my dad and grandfather lived approximately 30 miles away from one another and never new it. Jan was sad to hear such a heart-breaking tale. However, this family has finally been reunited.
More pictures from the trip
Brian, Me, Dave, James
James (6 months) and Clayton (18 months)
Clayton is Vikki's grandson. He's had 13 surgeries and still eats from a tube.
The Boys Gather
Chris, Dave, Brian, Steve, and their Dad, Ray.
My Father's cousin, Trish, the one responsible for all the geneology information.
James with his Grandpa Dave
Steve and his wife Vikki
Steve with James- One of my favorite pictures.
I love you., Dad.
4 comments:
Wow Jen! It looks like you had a great trip! It's been forever since we talked. I'll call you soon.
What a wonderful thing to be able to participate in. I am so glad that you got to do.
Wow, what a story, what a trip! How wonderful for you and your family!
I haven't played Cribbage in years. My sis and I used to play all the time.
So glad you had a great trip. I think Ray, Dave, and James all look alike. How great that your dad was able to meet his three brothers. Family just is different than strangers.
Post a Comment