Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Perpetually Halloween

We enjoyed Halloween this year and we are making plans for next year.

Anne finalized her Halloween plans the day before our party.  In August she wanted to be a Chocolate Milk Maiden.  The first of October she decided she really wanted to be a ballerina.  Two days before the party she didn't know what she wanted to be for Halloween.  The day before the party we sat down and looked at pictures to really try and get an idea of what she wanted to wear.  Her answer....A HORSE!  I said no.  There wasn't time to get a horse costume and we were still recovering from illness.  This mom wasn't about to do a horse costume in a day.  So I asked if she wanted to be a horse rider and she was delighted.   Anne chose pink satin fabric from my stash for the legs, pink poke-a-dot ribbon for the belt and some lace fringe and we were done in no time.  This little cowgirl loves her new pink boots, and the cape was added as the final touch before she rode off to the big party.

Grace knew what she wanted to dress like in August and never deviated from the course.  One hot summer day she was drinking her lemonade and decided to be a lemonade queen.  The blond wig is 36" long and is quite a sight be behold.  Nothing like being a queen for the day.

James is one and lets face it....adorable doesn't count for a Halloween costume.  One night the girls pulled out some random pajamas and the wheels started turning in this mother's head.  Red onesie.  Red sweat pants.  Red sweatshirt. 
 Santa?  Too predictable. 
 The devil?  Not my style. 
 Ketchup?  PERFECT! 

I am now a citizen of the Emerald City.  Since we recently read the Wizard of Oz and learned that everyone had green hair the girls were adamant that I color my hair green.  Quite frankly I think it's becoming a trend and I might just make it a permanent  addition to my life.  Edwin didn't notice the hair color until he looked at the pictures.  How long would it be before he noticed it was a lasting hairstyle?
Sunday evening Edwin had twenty minutes between sleep and work.  He used his precious time helping the kids carve their traditional pumpkin. 

This year we had a Jill-O-Lantern complete with a carved ponytail in back!
Bravo sweetie! 
Since Halloween was Sunday evening we opted out of the traditional "trick-or-treating" activities and stayed home and read scripture stories.  We found several stories where people dressed-up in disguises or were super tricky and had entire cities sneak past some sleeping guards. It was an adventurous scriptural feast.
Overall we enjoyed many Halloween festivities..but the fun just keeps on going.
Arts and crafts gone awry.

We like big hair...
Very Big Hair!
We will be ready for next year...we are making plans!

(Oh, and I did purchase some costumes on sale for next year only to discover that it made me melancholy.  I returned them later the same day.  Costumes just can't come from the store in this house. 
This mom likes to sew!)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Love the ketchup!!! You are a much nicer mom than I am. I would have convinced Anne that she really wanted to be what you already had figured out. Bravo, Jen!

Ashley said...

That's funny because I was looking at the sales rack and had grabbed a few but I couldn't stand the thought of the kids having the exact same costume as everyone else. Even if they want to be the same thing as everyone else at least they'll look different because I made it;)

Shanna Butler said...

Wow. You guys are so much more fun at your house! Love the green hair. Very creative costumes. Miss those cutie pies.