Friday, July 27, 2007

Simple Words

Edwin and I have been encouraging Grace to use "please" and "thank you." I know it's important to be polite and courteous, but I didn't realize how these two words can change my thoughts and actions.

The past few days I have noticed Grace using "please" and "thank you" without prompting. Tonight was no exception. When Edwin filled Grace's cup with water we heard, "Thank you, Daddy." After I picked up the fork she dropped once again we heard, "Thank you, Mom." Then Grace needed some more water and it was, "More please, Mom."

I glanced at Edwin several times and caught him smiling over these simple words that were so sincere. Then I realized that I too was grinning and even chuckling from time to time. There was something significantly different between Grace's cute toddler behavior and her genuine gratitude. Nothing entices me more to lend a helping hand than Grace kindly asking for help where she lacked that ability to do things on her own.

"Please" and "Thank you" changed the atmosphere in our home and brought smiles to two tired parents. Since dinner I have wondered if I have displayed the same courtesy to others that my child exhibited tonight. May I follow my daughter's example.

I love you, Grace!
Thank you.

5 comments:

Jodie Haney said...

It does make a world of difference. She is growiing up!

Ashley said...

How sweet!

Melissa said...

I learn so much from Hailey. I guess that's why they're sent to us. Such a sweet story!

Daniel said...

I could probably learn a thing or two from Grace two, by showing my gratitude to others more often.

Audra said...

Isn't is such a joy to see your children learn! I try and teach them, but like you said, many times they end up teaching me.